Skip to main content

Hug-iversary

My phone beeped early this morning. I picked it up and smiled. There on the screen was a reminder that today was the 1st anniversary of the day The Lodger hugged back. 

Since that day, I must have received a hug every waking hour. The Lodger wakes and hugs you, he hugs with all his strength, he hugs when he's really happy, when he's sad, before he goes to bed, to say goodbye,  he hugs you and means it. 

The Lodger has severely low muscle tone and as a result, his milestones are delayed. Physiotherapy plays big role in his daily activity. He's almost two and a half years old and unfortunately he hasn't started growth hormone therapy yet, so every milestone reached is through his own determination. 

The Lodger has been hugged everyday since day one. I often think how unbeknownst to us, while we were focusing on crawling and teaching him jigsaws, somewhere inside him, he was working towards hugging Mum and Dad back. 

His latest skill is cruising the furniture. One day, he just went for it. It takes every bit of strength and concentration that he has. It amazes me. The Lodger is an expert at crawling, he's fast and agile. He can get everywhere he wants to. Yet, he decided to start cruising. It's snail paced, it's challenging and it takes all his muscle strength but he's doing it and is so proud of himself! 

We attended a conference, just before The Lodger turned one were an expert said that people with Prader-Willi Syndrome hug a lot but don't mean it. At the time, I had no concrete evidence to agree or disagree, as he was only very young at the time but now, I do. 

The Lodger hugs and he means it.   Today we celebrate the 1st Hug-iversary! 

Happy Hug-iversary! x




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To lock or not to lock, that is not the question anymore.

It’s approximately 4421days since we got The Lodgers diagnosis of Prader Willi Syndrome.   To save you doing the maths: twelve years and almost 2 months ago.  We’ve learned a lot in those twelve years- strategies to help distract him from food, tools to help transition from task to task, methods to help him calm down, strategies to keep us all going day to day….  We’ve met many experts in the field of PWS- from doctors, nurses, psychologists, researchers and a range of therapists from speech and language to occupational and physios.  We talk with many  PWS families- both with children older and younger than our boy, The Lodger.  I’ve often been asked if we lock our kitchen. Up until yesterday the answer was ‘not yet.’  Today I sat with him as I was helping him put on his socks. It’s still a tricky thing for him to do- even with all the helpful tips from occupational therapists over the years. Somedays he’ll do it easily, other days he needs h...

How is The Lodger?

I’ll start by answering the most common question we’re asked at the moment (especially now that he’s in his new school): “How is The Lodger?” And I always answer the same way, He’s getting on great. Great, although a great word (and it does contain the word eat , which is a favourite in this house) is almost not great enough for just how well The Lodger is getting on. Terrific. Fantastic. Amazing. Excellent. Continue along those lines and you’ll begin to understand just how great The Lodger is. Historically, whenever I say things are great out loud, that’s usually when a curveball smashes into us and I’m left thinking I should never have said anything at all. But just for now, to remember how good things are, I’m going to say it out loud and put it into the universe. The Lodger is getting on great. Home life: great. School life: great. The in-between outside world life: great. A calm confidence has opened up in him. He is happy in who he is. While we’d love to take all the credi...

Turn around and go home.

Prader-Willi Syndrome. It raises its head when you least expect it. Although in hindsight it was totally going to appear because we did everything we weren't supposed to.  The Lodger and Little Bro walk in the woods (not today!) I'll set the scene. It's a lovely autumnal Sunday. The sun is shining, it's not raining and it's not cold. A walk would be just the ticket before The Lodger has his Sunday movie. As you know, routine is important. Movies can't be missed.  We decided on our route- the route we call the castle route. You guessed incorrectly, it doesn't feature a castle but if you go off path and really crane your neck you might just glimpse one.  However when we got to the woods, I switched the route up. I don't know why. I just did. A moment of spontaneity. Anyway Hindsight. Lesson learned.  The new route meant a bit of climbing, so a lot of helping The Lodger and for The Lodger he wasn't able to continue his telling of the story he paused ...