Skip to main content

To lock or not to lock, that is not the question anymore.

It’s approximately 4421days since we got The Lodgers diagnosis of Prader Willi Syndrome.  To save you doing the maths: twelve years and almost 2 months ago. 




We’ve learned a lot in those twelve years- strategies to help distract him from food, tools to help transition from task to task, methods to help him calm down, strategies to keep us all going day to day…. 


We’ve met many experts in the field of PWS- from doctors, nurses, psychologists, researchers and a range of therapists from speech and language to occupational and physios. 


We talk with many  PWS families- both with children older and younger than our boy, The Lodger. 


I’ve often been asked if we lock our kitchen. Up until yesterday the answer was ‘not yet.’ 


Today I sat with him as I was helping him put on his socks. It’s still a tricky thing for him to do- even with all the helpful tips from occupational therapists over the years. Somedays he’ll do it easily, other days he needs help. Today was a helping day. 



“I think it might be a good idea if we lock the kitchen. What do you think?" I asked The Lodger


"How would I have my meals?" (Priorities!) 


"It would be open when we’re eating, when I’m in the kitchen, when Dads there.. and we’ll close it when we go in the garden or I’m busy in another room - what do you think? " I said.


"I think that would be good. " said The Lodger


"Can you tell me why?" I asked. 


"Because then I couldn’t walk in and see food and take it. Like yesterday. " said The Lodger


Yesterday he ate his brothers leftover food. He knew I knew and he admitted it when asked but it was a fail on my part, a lapse in food security. 


Food security is making sure the environment is food secure- nothing left out, no access to food but it’s also more than that. It’s making sure The Lodger is confident in us to keep it food secure. It’s him knowing there is no access to food so there’s no point in trying to get some. There’s no hope, no chance, no disappointment.  It’s his trust in us that he will get his food at his set times throughout the day- nothing more, nothing less- the exact amount of food he needs daily.


“Yes, we want to keep you safe and for you to be happy. If the kitchen is locked, you’ll know and you can tell your brain that there’s no point going to the kitchen, it’s locked and Mum/Dad will call me when the next meal is anyway. “  I told him. 


And then a moment that will stay with me forever, his eyes teared up with happiness..


"I'm really happy about this." said The Lodger


"Can you tell me why you’re happy?" I asked. 


"Because I can’t open a locked kitchen. Can you show me it locked. This is fantastic. 

Mum do my other friends with PWS have their kitchens locked?" said a very happy Lodger.


"Yes some do!" I told him. 


"Brilliant, that’s brilliant. A locked kitchen- this is brilliant."  announced The Lodger. 


For years we’ve wondered how we’d end up reaching this point, the locking of the kitchen. He’s been opportunistic over the years about taking food- a rare occurrence usually because we left something out but yesterday there was different energy about him- he had a buzz of ‘I got food’ that he hadn’t had before. 

A spring in his step, a lightness…  hard to explain but deep down I knew that we’d reached the locking of the kitchen. 


I always thought it would be a sad feeling, the day we locked the kitchen but actually it gave me comfort knowing The Lodger is delighted with this decision. His face was full of joy when he saw the locked kitchen door. Every family is different, some people lock early, some when it’s needed and some never. Every family will do what’s best for them. It is their home. 


It’s been a long time since we’ve written a blog post but we wanted to share this one because we’ve been thinking about the will we need to lock, when will we lock, should it be now for the last twelve years… 


This morning I let my husband who was working know- "I’ve talked with The Lodger and the kitchen is locked now so I can cut the grass and not be thinking about the kitchen intruder. The Lodger is really happy about this locking kitchen news. I think it might be a life highlight for himself "


The husband's response: All I took from that is you are cutting the grass 🤣 


It’s the small wins. 


It’s the laugh we can share as parents to a boy with a really complex condition that controls our home life 24/7.  If you don’t laugh, you’ll cry… There has been moments  we’ve cried  but we’ve had many a laugh at the sometimes bizarre moments PWS lands you in. 


Humour will get you through 99.9% of things. 


The grass is cut.

The kitchen is locked.

The Lodger is happy.

So are we. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turn around and go home.

Prader-Willi Syndrome. It raises its head when you least expect it. Although in hindsight it was totally going to appear because we did everything we weren't supposed to.  The Lodger and Little Bro walk in the woods (not today!) I'll set the scene. It's a lovely autumnal Sunday. The sun is shining, it's not raining and it's not cold. A walk would be just the ticket before The Lodger has his Sunday movie. As you know, routine is important. Movies can't be missed.  We decided on our route- the route we call the castle route. You guessed incorrectly, it doesn't feature a castle but if you go off path and really crane your neck you might just glimpse one.  However when we got to the woods, I switched the route up. I don't know why. I just did. A moment of spontaneity. Anyway Hindsight. Lesson learned.  The new route meant a bit of climbing, so a lot of helping The Lodger and for The Lodger he wasn't able to continue his telling of the story he paused las

Steak is my favourite animal.

By Rory The Lodger loves cows. They are his favourite animal. They are also his baby brothers favourite animal because the Lodger decided they are.  Cow watching! The Lodgers birthday was recently. A huge day in his and our life. 10 years into our journey of discovery and all the other things Prader-Willi Syndrome throws at you. He wanted the perfect birthday. Don't we all on our birthday. Unfortunately the Lodgers idea of the perfect day for our birthdays doesn't always live up to his high standards. Or what you'd actually like to do on your birthday. And this can lead to unhappiness with the plan.  Things have to happen certain ways. And sometimes for example if I had a glass of orange juice for my last birthday breakfast I obviously have to have one this year. And probably, every year. Routine is important. We created that monster ourselves. This year my birthday was surrounded by much sobbing and stress as when the cake didn't work first time (and I was OK with it,

Hunting Nuns

By Rory Today we went hunting nuns. It a past-time I hadn't expected to be partaking in when I woke up this morning but that's what was decided we would do so we did it. I should explain.  The Lodger loves witches. His favourite witch is the Grand High Witch.  While some years ago we worked through the logic that the Grand High Witch was not real we discussed actors.  Now obviously, his favourite actor is Angelica Huston.  She lives in America so we learnt everything about her.  We learnt she went to school in Ireland  In Kylemore Abbey.  We now visit Kylemore Abbey. Alot. The Lodger likes the house which was then the school.  He likes the bus to see the Connemara ponies and the Kune Kune pigs. I like the gardens.  We now go there to hunt nuns.  Unfortunately today we didn't catch any nuns but we did do some research. We investigated every picture of the nuns. We read all about the nuns. We looked in odd places in case a nun might be there. But there were none to catch. We