Skip to main content

Another May, another milestone!

May is Prader-Willi Syndrome Awareness month. I could tell you all about the complexities of PWS. I could tell you all the symptoms. I could tell you about the medical interventions required. I could tell you about the therapies. I could tell you how the diagnosis changes you as a person. I could focus on the negative side of things.... but I won't.

Instead, I'll share with you the joyous moments. The milestones we waited for. The feeling of pride we have when The Lodger achieves something we never thought he would.

Just for one minute, think about your muscles that we mostly just take for granted. Think of the muscles you need to stand up from sitting. The strength you need in your core to stand tall. Think of the muscles you need to hold a book or to lift your arm over your head! 

The Lodger has low muscle tone. This means that everyday tasks we take for granted are an extra challenge for him. At birth, The Lodger could only move his eyes. It's been an incredible journey so far in seeing him get stronger and reach milestones.

The Lodger a few days old

Just today, he took climbing to the next level. As you watch the video, think of all the muscles he needs to use to climb. Look at his feet supporting him, his legs lifting, the strength in his shoulders.  Now think back to what I told you about him when he was born..... he could only move his eyes! 

 Video not playing, watch it on youtube here

 

 


Low muscle tone is just one symptom of PWS. Daily physiotherapy plays a big role in The Lodgers life. As The Lodger grows older, exercise will be important everyday to help him stay fit and healthy. 

To any parents who've just received a diagnosis of PWS, your baby will get there. I could never have believed that I now have to rearrange furniture to keep him on the floor. I could never have believed that one day he'd just take off crawling. We're close to walking now but that's how The Lodger does things. We wait and wait... and wait.... and then one day, he'll have it mastered and off he'll go!

And on that day, The Day The Lodger Walks there'll be BIG celebrations!! Watch this space.....



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prader Willi Syndome - The Liam Neeson Effect

Firstly I can't say I am in any way qualified to discuss this subject. There are no letters before or in fact after my name. I went to college but didn't learn anything about stress, anxiety or Prader Willi Syndrome. And I don't get paid large quantities of money to discuss these topics.
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a 4 year period. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.  The last part is factually not correct but if it's good enough for Liam Neeson it's good enough for me.

My skills are a little different and totally self taught through nothing other that necessity. The necessity to deal with the wonderful symptom of anxiety in a 4 year old with Prader Willi Syndrome.  Again I'm only 4 years and 7 months into my journey of involvement with Prader Willi Syndrome so my experiences and thoughts are just mine and not the silver bullet of PWS. If it was, maybe more people would read this blog.
The Lodg…

The Shuffle Monster

Sometimes you enjoy spending time with your child. I'd even go as far as saying most of the time it's enjoyable.
But then there are those other times...
It's 5am. I know because I've checked the phone, undetected, hopefully, as The Silent Shuffle Monster makes his way through the darkness. The Lodger is awake.  I always check the time in trying to understand this next crazy symptom of Prader-Willi Syndrome.  The dreaded early waking.  I not sure on the specific reasons or causes for this. Possibly hunger or a low blood sugar level or possibly anxiety relating to the 'Will they remember to give me breakfast?' A consistent worry in the world of PWS.

Ive captured this moment before, the waking and slow approach, It happens like this. The Lodger wakes, reaches out turns off his sleep apnoea machine and carefully removes his mask. He then slips carefully from the bed making sure not to wake Walter and pulling the covers back up on him. Important not to wake wake Walter. Th…

Prader Willi Syndrome, it's not always fun!

It's been quiet in the world of The Lodger of late and by quiet I mean so freaking busy there's no time to write about the trials and tribulations of Prader-Willi Syndrome. 
I guess it's also easier to write when times are good and when there's time for celebration but I guess if we're to be honest about Prader-Willi Syndrome recently there’s been a few more bad days. 
If it's not another disappointing hospital trip where your answers still can't be answered because let's face it they don't know all the answers, it's another hoop to jump through trying to get The Lodger better services in pre school and trying to plan for primary school next year. 
And then there's The Lodgers ongoing development and attempts to understand the world around him. 
The Lodger is four and the behavioural challenges of PWS are showing through. Possibly due to lack of understanding and still some difficulty  with communication the Lodger is testing his surroundings la…