Skip to main content

What if Christmas perhaps... means a little bit more!

Today, we visited a toy shop with The Lodger. We did this to see if there is anything that he would really love Santa to bring him. We’ve been reading the toy catalogue, showing him tv ads of toys he might like but so far, we are coming up short. The Lodger has only one Christmas wish request.... and that can't be bought in a shop! 

The Lodger visiting a Christmas shop

In classic Lodger style, he has set us a Christmas challenge....

Recently, The Lodger's Auntie asked him what was Santa bringing?

The Lodger without hesitation replied 'Walk'.

'A walk?' I asked.

'Yes!' he said with the biggest smile on his face as he pointed to outside.

I explained that Santa might be so busy that day, bringing gifts to all the good boys and girls all over the world, that he might not be able to bring The Lodger for a walk.

I asked 'If Santa can't go for a walk, what else would you like?'
'Dog!' The Lodger replied with a grin.
'Santa can't bring a dog, he has no room in his sleigh. What's next?' I asked.

'Cat!' The Lodger replied.

I could now see where this would be going, a pig, a horse, a cow, a sheep and a lion soon followed. We love animals but at the moment the cuddly soft toy kind are all we need. 

Over the last few weeks, he has expanded his Christmas wish to 'A walk with Santa outside, holding his hand!' 

The Lodger has filled us with such pride, from the little baby who could only move his eyes when he was born, to the little boy he is now walking around independently. It's been incredible to see each of his milestones reached in his own time with a lot of hard work including physiotherapy and orthotics. 

Since The Lodger mastered walking just a few months ago at age 3 years 2 months, it is now one of his favourite things to do! 
Rain or shine, The Lodger loves to walk! He's getting stronger, faster and reaching greater distances. 

The Lodger spotted Santa on an episode of The Big Bang Theory before Halloween and his eyes lit up. Since then anything Christmas themed has brought great excitement. He has hugged the television when Santa appeared, cheered as he spotted Christmas trees and thanks to an app, has had many a phone call with Mr.Claus. 

The Lodger faces challenges but he does it with courage. He rarely has bad days, he rarely has tantrums and he's one of the happiest people I know. Even after a tough hospital visit, he'll high five and hug the Doctor. He's thoughtful, caring and funny! 

It really is no surprise he wants to match his two favourites together, walking and Santa.  

“Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! 
What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. 
What if Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!”

The Lodger meeting Santa Claus last Christmas. 

So, Santa Claus, I hope you have your walking boots ready.... we'll see you Christmas morning for a walk with The Lodger..... With a little help from some elves! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To lock or not to lock, that is not the question anymore.

It’s approximately 4421days since we got The Lodgers diagnosis of Prader Willi Syndrome.   To save you doing the maths: twelve years and almost 2 months ago.  We’ve learned a lot in those twelve years- strategies to help distract him from food, tools to help transition from task to task, methods to help him calm down, strategies to keep us all going day to day….  We’ve met many experts in the field of PWS- from doctors, nurses, psychologists, researchers and a range of therapists from speech and language to occupational and physios.  We talk with many  PWS families- both with children older and younger than our boy, The Lodger.  I’ve often been asked if we lock our kitchen. Up until yesterday the answer was ‘not yet.’  Today I sat with him as I was helping him put on his socks. It’s still a tricky thing for him to do- even with all the helpful tips from occupational therapists over the years. Somedays he’ll do it easily, other days he needs h...

How is The Lodger?

I’ll start by answering the most common question we’re asked at the moment (especially now that he’s in his new school): “How is The Lodger?” And I always answer the same way, He’s getting on great. Great, although a great word (and it does contain the word eat , which is a favourite in this house) is almost not great enough for just how well The Lodger is getting on. Terrific. Fantastic. Amazing. Excellent. Continue along those lines and you’ll begin to understand just how great The Lodger is. Historically, whenever I say things are great out loud, that’s usually when a curveball smashes into us and I’m left thinking I should never have said anything at all. But just for now, to remember how good things are, I’m going to say it out loud and put it into the universe. The Lodger is getting on great. Home life: great. School life: great. The in-between outside world life: great. A calm confidence has opened up in him. He is happy in who he is. While we’d love to take all the credi...

Turn around and go home.

Prader-Willi Syndrome. It raises its head when you least expect it. Although in hindsight it was totally going to appear because we did everything we weren't supposed to.  The Lodger and Little Bro walk in the woods (not today!) I'll set the scene. It's a lovely autumnal Sunday. The sun is shining, it's not raining and it's not cold. A walk would be just the ticket before The Lodger has his Sunday movie. As you know, routine is important. Movies can't be missed.  We decided on our route- the route we call the castle route. You guessed incorrectly, it doesn't feature a castle but if you go off path and really crane your neck you might just glimpse one.  However when we got to the woods, I switched the route up. I don't know why. I just did. A moment of spontaneity. Anyway Hindsight. Lesson learned.  The new route meant a bit of climbing, so a lot of helping The Lodger and for The Lodger he wasn't able to continue his telling of the story he paused ...