Skip to main content

The Lodger on tour!


The Lodger recently had his first school tour. The week leading up to the much-anticpated school tour started with an unexplained bout of challenging behaviour. 

The Lodger went back to school after his midterm break on Monday. He didn’t have the best day, a bit tired, a little bit oppositional, but we put it down to back to school feelings (and I kept my fingers crossed that he wasn't getting sick!)

Tuesday continued in the same breath! I was perplexed as he was fine at home, his usual happy Lodger self! I had a chat with his teacher and SNA after school and no light was shared but we decided maybe it was school tour excitement?? 

That was until, Tuesday evening and myself and the lodger were  having a little chat about things using my “I’m not trying to find out anything but really I am” strategy.... and for some unknown reason, he had gotten it into his head that he wouldn’t be having snack or lunch on his school tour.

Alarm bells rang, Take a breath! You think you have all bases covered and them BOOM, you are walloped by a completely unexpected statement from your five-year-old with PWS. 

Imagine that as a person with PWS.. you’re excited about this thing called a school tour and it features a farm, your highlight, but you think you won’t get to eat anything after breakfast and until afternoon snack. Just imagine how The Lodger was feeling, completely overwhelmed... 'I love school and I love the sound of a school tour and everyone’s excited for it, so I should be too but no food!?'... It was no wonder he was punishing school! 

It further highlighted to me the point that for a person with PWS, food is stress! 
As much as he loves food, food is also the biggest cause of anxiety and stress for him. 
A normal day to day, all fine but a day of unexpected routine altering, anxiety overload. 

I reassured him. Dad reassured him.  The following morning his SNA reassured him. Everyone reassured him. The SNA went through the whole plan of the tour, what was happening and had the “now next later” plan in place. 

Sos and Lón (break and lunch) were to be combined but I just knew that would cause too much stress for the Lodger. He wouldn’t be able to enjoy himself, as he’d be waiting all day for lunch, it would be the only thing he’d be able to focus on and think about, so he had his sos on the bus! 

And then Friday arrived, the morning of the tour... and he woke up with his list of rules for me.... 
"Mum is sos on the bus packed?
Is my Lunch packed?
I need Tracksuit on.
I need Runners on
Mum, No school bag
Mum, No lunch bag
Is my lunch in a plastic bag"


How did he get on?? 

He LOVED it! The whole weekend we listened to the story of the tour, from the old house, to the farm, to the farm train and the bus..... and very unlike the Lodger, the food didn't take centre stage, so it really must've been a hit! 

Another milestone reached for our Legend in the making! 

Legend in the Making!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turn around and go home.

Prader-Willi Syndrome. It raises its head when you least expect it. Although in hindsight it was totally going to appear because we did everything we weren't supposed to.  The Lodger and Little Bro walk in the woods (not today!) I'll set the scene. It's a lovely autumnal Sunday. The sun is shining, it's not raining and it's not cold. A walk would be just the ticket before The Lodger has his Sunday movie. As you know, routine is important. Movies can't be missed.  We decided on our route- the route we call the castle route. You guessed incorrectly, it doesn't feature a castle but if you go off path and really crane your neck you might just glimpse one.  However when we got to the woods, I switched the route up. I don't know why. I just did. A moment of spontaneity. Anyway Hindsight. Lesson learned.  The new route meant a bit of climbing, so a lot of helping The Lodger and for The Lodger he wasn't able to continue his telling of the story he paused las

Steak is my favourite animal.

By Rory The Lodger loves cows. They are his favourite animal. They are also his baby brothers favourite animal because the Lodger decided they are.  Cow watching! The Lodgers birthday was recently. A huge day in his and our life. 10 years into our journey of discovery and all the other things Prader-Willi Syndrome throws at you. He wanted the perfect birthday. Don't we all on our birthday. Unfortunately the Lodgers idea of the perfect day for our birthdays doesn't always live up to his high standards. Or what you'd actually like to do on your birthday. And this can lead to unhappiness with the plan.  Things have to happen certain ways. And sometimes for example if I had a glass of orange juice for my last birthday breakfast I obviously have to have one this year. And probably, every year. Routine is important. We created that monster ourselves. This year my birthday was surrounded by much sobbing and stress as when the cake didn't work first time (and I was OK with it,

Hunting Nuns

By Rory Today we went hunting nuns. It a past-time I hadn't expected to be partaking in when I woke up this morning but that's what was decided we would do so we did it. I should explain.  The Lodger loves witches. His favourite witch is the Grand High Witch.  While some years ago we worked through the logic that the Grand High Witch was not real we discussed actors.  Now obviously, his favourite actor is Angelica Huston.  She lives in America so we learnt everything about her.  We learnt she went to school in Ireland  In Kylemore Abbey.  We now visit Kylemore Abbey. Alot. The Lodger likes the house which was then the school.  He likes the bus to see the Connemara ponies and the Kune Kune pigs. I like the gardens.  We now go there to hunt nuns.  Unfortunately today we didn't catch any nuns but we did do some research. We investigated every picture of the nuns. We read all about the nuns. We looked in odd places in case a nun might be there. But there were none to catch. We