Skip to main content

A breach of security




We recently had a breach of security.


Food security that is. 

The Lodgers little cousin offered him some food and he accepted.
How do I know this? He told me.

The Lodger was watching some television and I went in to check on him. 

'Mum, when is morning snack?'

'O, that's not for another hour or so Buddy.'

'Mum, Little Cousin gave me some food and I ate it.'

I paused and rapidly tried to remember what we've been advised to do in this situation. Remain calm, don't punish. Get the facts. Breathe! Count to ten. 

'Ok, and what was it that little cousin gave you?'

'O it was a bit of one of my crackers. ' 

In my mind.. PHEW!

'Ok, well next time Little Cousin offers you some food, will you ask me first if it's ok?'

'I knew it was ok for my tummy.'

'I know you did but next time will you check with me?'

'Ok. Am I in trouble?'

'No, not one bit. Just remember that with your special tummy, you need to check with a grownup first. Little cousin doesn't understand about your special tummy yet.'

'Ok Mum. Mum, it was good. I can't wait for morning snack. '

I estimated that it was probably about 8 calories of a breach of security. 8 calories. 
8 calories that I made an allowance for in his next meal. 8 calories.

Little Cousin saying Goodnight to The Lodger

Currently, The Lodger isn't an active food seeker. I'd describe him as opportunistic. If he comes across something that he knows is ok for his special tummy, he'll probably eat it. In saying that though, we have an unsecured fruit bowl and no locks on the food cupboard. Although, toothpaste has to be kept on a high shelf. 

The Lodger recently went to a friends pizza making birthday party. We do baking at home and he helps with meal preparation occasionally but I really didn't know how he'd get on. I needn't have worried, he just got on with it. The Lodger had negotiated his terms beforehand, so he knew he could have a sliver of pizza and a salad. He loved the process of the pizza making but in his mind, it was separate to the eating bit. Infact his favourite part of the party wasn't even the pizza, it was the dancing with his friends. 

PWS is always surprising me. It is completely different from what I thought it would be when he was little. 

Today The Lodger brought me home chocolate from school.
Fellow PWS parents don't panic, it was planned for.

A school friend brought in chocolate for the class, so I'd sent something in for The Lodger. However, The Lodger being The Lodger told his teacher that his Mum loves chocolate and he could bring home his bit for his Mum and have something different for his special tummy.

He was so delighted to be able to give me the chocolate, well he was after he got over the fact that I was wearing a different jacket and why was I wearing a different jacket and ok Mum, it is a warmer day but where is your other jacket and will you wear your other jacket tomorrow or will you wear this jacket, which jacket will you wear later on our walk, Mum, I didn't know you had so many jackets... and these aren't the shoes you were wearing in the morning.... 

'Mum you can have the chocolate at afternoon snack!'

A gift of chocolate from my son. These are words I never thought I'd write. 
A perk of PWS parenting? Seeing the brighter side of Prader Willi Syndrome. 

The Lodger, the gardener

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To lock or not to lock, that is not the question anymore.

It’s approximately 4421days since we got The Lodgers diagnosis of Prader Willi Syndrome.   To save you doing the maths: twelve years and almost 2 months ago.  We’ve learned a lot in those twelve years- strategies to help distract him from food, tools to help transition from task to task, methods to help him calm down, strategies to keep us all going day to day….  We’ve met many experts in the field of PWS- from doctors, nurses, psychologists, researchers and a range of therapists from speech and language to occupational and physios.  We talk with many  PWS families- both with children older and younger than our boy, The Lodger.  I’ve often been asked if we lock our kitchen. Up until yesterday the answer was ‘not yet.’  Today I sat with him as I was helping him put on his socks. It’s still a tricky thing for him to do- even with all the helpful tips from occupational therapists over the years. Somedays he’ll do it easily, other days he needs h...

How is The Lodger?

I’ll start by answering the most common question we’re asked at the moment (especially now that he’s in his new school): “How is The Lodger?” And I always answer the same way, He’s getting on great. Great, although a great word (and it does contain the word eat , which is a favourite in this house) is almost not great enough for just how well The Lodger is getting on. Terrific. Fantastic. Amazing. Excellent. Continue along those lines and you’ll begin to understand just how great The Lodger is. Historically, whenever I say things are great out loud, that’s usually when a curveball smashes into us and I’m left thinking I should never have said anything at all. But just for now, to remember how good things are, I’m going to say it out loud and put it into the universe. The Lodger is getting on great. Home life: great. School life: great. The in-between outside world life: great. A calm confidence has opened up in him. He is happy in who he is. While we’d love to take all the credi...

Turn around and go home.

Prader-Willi Syndrome. It raises its head when you least expect it. Although in hindsight it was totally going to appear because we did everything we weren't supposed to.  The Lodger and Little Bro walk in the woods (not today!) I'll set the scene. It's a lovely autumnal Sunday. The sun is shining, it's not raining and it's not cold. A walk would be just the ticket before The Lodger has his Sunday movie. As you know, routine is important. Movies can't be missed.  We decided on our route- the route we call the castle route. You guessed incorrectly, it doesn't feature a castle but if you go off path and really crane your neck you might just glimpse one.  However when we got to the woods, I switched the route up. I don't know why. I just did. A moment of spontaneity. Anyway Hindsight. Lesson learned.  The new route meant a bit of climbing, so a lot of helping The Lodger and for The Lodger he wasn't able to continue his telling of the story he paused ...