Skip to main content

2563 days on!

2563 days, give or take a leap year, is the amount of days since The Lodger was diagnosed with Prader Willi Syndrome. 

It's been quiet on our blog (apologies) but it has definitely not been quiet in our lives. Update the blog has been on the to do list since May but sometimes things get in the way and sitting down to write a blog post does happen but it just doesn't get finished but we're back now! 


The Lodger at his 7th Birthday party

The Lodger recently turned seven years old. I can't believe it either.
I always find during this time of year that I look back to those first couple of weeks of The Lodger and compare him to where he is now.

Just the other day, he told me he was bored playing, the joys of summer holidays, so I asked him did he want a job.
'Yes I do' he replied.

'Ok, how about hoovering the house?' I asked him, fully expecting to hear a negative response but much to my surprise he said yes. 

Did I ever think that tiny baby who couldn't cry would be hoovering the house seven years on.... not a chance. 




A few days after we received and fell into the grief pit of getting a diagnosis, we were in NICU with The Lodger and his doctor told us that yes he has PWS but he isn't PWS and won't be PWS.  It's now a line I share with parents who receive a diagnosis of PWS for their baby because it's true.

The Lodger is much more than PWS. 
He's the Lodger, a person who just happens to have PWS.

Does having PWS make life hard for The Lodger and Us? Yes, sometimes. Not all the time but sometimes. Our life with PWS has become our normal. It's The Lodgers normal too. It isn't him but it's part of him and because of that, there's certain things we as parents need to do. It keeps The Lodger happy and feeling safe... and it's not just the vitally important consistent food rules. 

I was both looking forward to and dreading the summer holidays. The Lodger strives on routine. Routine is everything and if the the plan of the day changes, anxiety takes over. It might even be something he will genuinely love and look forward to but anxiety is cruel, it manifests itself in questions, thousands of questions, the need for reassurance, the need for alot of distraction, emotional moments and did I mention the questions?

One of the house rules is don't tell The Lodger anything. If something exciting is happening on Thursday, we will tell him Thursday morning. If he gets wind of something that is happening, he'll ask when and I'll say 'O that music festival, not for ages... like ages away. We don't need to talk about it now. I'll let you know when we can talk about it nearer the time!' Currently, it works for us. 


The Lodger at his first music festival!

We were lucky enough to be able to take part in a research project about having PWS and being flexible. I can't thank the researchers enough. It was perfect timing. Infact luck was really on our side back then. I should've played the lottery. 

Through playing a game, The Lodger over the two weeks learnt to be flexible and even though the project is over now, we are still implenting it at home in our own way. The game rewarded The Lodger with a video of a dancing cat for being flexible...so that's what we do now. If we need to ask The Lodger to be flexible, if we're changing a plan or something unexpected happens, he gets rewarded with us being dancing cats. 

Did I think seven years ago that I'd ever have to pretend to be a dancing cat, so that my son could handle a challenging situation? No, I can say honestly say the thought never crossed my mind.  When you're in the grief pit googling PWS, it's not something you come across.

So if you're a parent of a younger kid with PWS and you're reading this, believe me when I say that when I'm pretending to be a dancing cat, I'm happy. I'm so proud of my child in that moment. Flexibility and changes are really really really really hard for him, so when he says Ok to the change and says 'Mum, dancing cat please.' I'm happy! I'm over the moon, give that kid a medal kindof happy. 

We're all creatures of habit and one day at breakfast, The Lodger said 'Mum, I'm going to sit in your seat today but don't worry, for being flexible, I'll do the dancing cat for you!'

And then, there he was doing the dancing cat and saying 'Mum, I'm so proud of you. Well done Mum on being flexible!' with the biggest smile on his face, giggling away. 

The Lodger makes me laugh! 

Who knows what we'll end up doing in the next seven years or even the next year to help The Lodger with tricky things but we'll be doing it, helping him through whatever the next PWS curveball will be. It takes tremendous teamwork everyday and not just from The Lodger and Us but the extended Us too, the 'thank you for being there' family and friends. We're 2563 days in, The Lodger is happy and healthy and we're happy and healthy too! 


The Lodger sea swimming!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turn around and go home.

Prader-Willi Syndrome. It raises its head when you least expect it. Although in hindsight it was totally going to appear because we did everything we weren't supposed to.  The Lodger and Little Bro walk in the woods (not today!) I'll set the scene. It's a lovely autumnal Sunday. The sun is shining, it's not raining and it's not cold. A walk would be just the ticket before The Lodger has his Sunday movie. As you know, routine is important. Movies can't be missed.  We decided on our route- the route we call the castle route. You guessed incorrectly, it doesn't feature a castle but if you go off path and really crane your neck you might just glimpse one.  However when we got to the woods, I switched the route up. I don't know why. I just did. A moment of spontaneity. Anyway Hindsight. Lesson learned.  The new route meant a bit of climbing, so a lot of helping The Lodger and for The Lodger he wasn't able to continue his telling of the story he paused las

Steak is my favourite animal.

By Rory The Lodger loves cows. They are his favourite animal. They are also his baby brothers favourite animal because the Lodger decided they are.  Cow watching! The Lodgers birthday was recently. A huge day in his and our life. 10 years into our journey of discovery and all the other things Prader-Willi Syndrome throws at you. He wanted the perfect birthday. Don't we all on our birthday. Unfortunately the Lodgers idea of the perfect day for our birthdays doesn't always live up to his high standards. Or what you'd actually like to do on your birthday. And this can lead to unhappiness with the plan.  Things have to happen certain ways. And sometimes for example if I had a glass of orange juice for my last birthday breakfast I obviously have to have one this year. And probably, every year. Routine is important. We created that monster ourselves. This year my birthday was surrounded by much sobbing and stress as when the cake didn't work first time (and I was OK with it,

Hunting Nuns

By Rory Today we went hunting nuns. It a past-time I hadn't expected to be partaking in when I woke up this morning but that's what was decided we would do so we did it. I should explain.  The Lodger loves witches. His favourite witch is the Grand High Witch.  While some years ago we worked through the logic that the Grand High Witch was not real we discussed actors.  Now obviously, his favourite actor is Angelica Huston.  She lives in America so we learnt everything about her.  We learnt she went to school in Ireland  In Kylemore Abbey.  We now visit Kylemore Abbey. Alot. The Lodger likes the house which was then the school.  He likes the bus to see the Connemara ponies and the Kune Kune pigs. I like the gardens.  We now go there to hunt nuns.  Unfortunately today we didn't catch any nuns but we did do some research. We investigated every picture of the nuns. We read all about the nuns. We looked in odd places in case a nun might be there. But there were none to catch. We