Skip to main content

The Benefits of Prader Willi Syndrome

I recently read a blog about what we can learn from people with Prader Willi syndrome and it got me thinking.
I started to think about the good things of PWS. The benefits of PWS. The things that make me feel good about The Lodgers development. Possibly just my benefits of PWS but I thought I'd share them anyway.




This may seem strange. How can you see benefits to a rare and so far incurable syndrome? Well I do and I'm sticking with it.

So here's my Top 5 benefits of Prader Willi Syndrome.

No 1. Slooooow motion
The Lodger is 2 and he is growing so slowly. It's brilliant. He's been nearly walking for 6 months and he was nearly crawling for a year before that. Before that he was nearly rolling for ages. We never miss anything the lodger does as it takes him so long to do it.
And I enjoy every day of that wait. The tiny changes. The growing confidence. The mental strength in his little face and he pulls up to peer out the window at the cat in the garden.
What's the hurry in growing up? I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Number 2 My healthy lifestyle
Thanks to the lodger and PWS we are now so healthy. We eat healthy. We exercise as a family. We rarely have treats. Food police have been and set the rules. So we've got a routine. We eat with the lodger at his scheduled mealtimes and never outside that.
This is all down to the lodger and his PWS . I don't miss random snacking or chocolate on a school night. And at the ripe old age of 32 I may have considered retiring from various sporting endeavours to just watch the professionals on the television and wonder what could have been.
But I didn't. Because as the lodger grows he's going to need an active lifestyle. If hes going to play for Ireland in the 2035 rugby world cup in who knows possibly Qatar well he's going to need to start training now. So I may as well stay fit to keep up. As one of the priests in school used to say "Be Wise - Exercise". He also said "Be Wise - Revise" which didn't work out quite as well.



No 3 Chill out
This is complicated but I still see it as a benefit. It's about really noticing  what's important in life. I used to worry about trivial things but now I think, what's the point? It is what is it. What's the point in getting angry. It's a waste of energy. Our house got robbed recently and I just thought sure it's only money. When the car broke down sure what's the point in stressing. It is what is it. The lodger is the most important thing in my life. After that as Metallica say nothing else matters. So why waste time and energy worrying.

No 4 is simply Appreciation.
So simple. Something other parents probably don't think about. I appreciate the little things in life. When I see the lodger and his challenges currently and for the future I don't take for granted the things Im able to do. Eat when I want to eat. Run without thinking. The natural strength in my muscles. My education and my mind. Everything I've got and didn't need to earn. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Simple appreciation that the lodger has helped me to realise.

No 5. Dreams.
The wonderful moments of drifting into a daydream and the joys that happen in those moments. When I think back to Diagnosis day I had no dreams for the lodger. No hope. No plan. Just doom and gloom. 2 years and a bit on and he's achieved more than I ever could have dreamed or imagined. So I've started to dream. What's he going to do next? Wow he's done it. Now what's next. He never could. Could he? Oh yes he could cause he just has! We are deep into the lodgers hugging phase. He hugs everyone. Even strangers. He loves people and doesn't judge. I never considered the lodger showing such loving emotions.
Dreams are fun, so dream and have fun. You never know what might happen.
I know there are challenges of PWS and I am not ignorant to a life with Prader Willi Syndrome. But I still think it's important to be positive.
Positivity is free! It literally does grow on trees. Not literally but you get the point. So channel your positivity and enjoy your dreams.
Just think its no harm to get those positive endorphins going to push through those days when the clouds seem greyer.
So dream big and let Prader Willi Syndrome deliver!
I'll see you at the rugby world cup in 2035. I'll be the one with the rice cakes. Oh come on let me have my dreams...


Comments

  1. That puts life into perspective, if was a great read & now I understand about PWS a lot better, thank you.
    Brenda Roddy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turn around and go home.

Prader-Willi Syndrome. It raises its head when you least expect it. Although in hindsight it was totally going to appear because we did everything we weren't supposed to.  The Lodger and Little Bro walk in the woods (not today!) I'll set the scene. It's a lovely autumnal Sunday. The sun is shining, it's not raining and it's not cold. A walk would be just the ticket before The Lodger has his Sunday movie. As you know, routine is important. Movies can't be missed.  We decided on our route- the route we call the castle route. You guessed incorrectly, it doesn't feature a castle but if you go off path and really crane your neck you might just glimpse one.  However when we got to the woods, I switched the route up. I don't know why. I just did. A moment of spontaneity. Anyway Hindsight. Lesson learned.  The new route meant a bit of climbing, so a lot of helping The Lodger and for The Lodger he wasn't able to continue his telling of the story he paused las

Steak is my favourite animal.

By Rory The Lodger loves cows. They are his favourite animal. They are also his baby brothers favourite animal because the Lodger decided they are.  Cow watching! The Lodgers birthday was recently. A huge day in his and our life. 10 years into our journey of discovery and all the other things Prader-Willi Syndrome throws at you. He wanted the perfect birthday. Don't we all on our birthday. Unfortunately the Lodgers idea of the perfect day for our birthdays doesn't always live up to his high standards. Or what you'd actually like to do on your birthday. And this can lead to unhappiness with the plan.  Things have to happen certain ways. And sometimes for example if I had a glass of orange juice for my last birthday breakfast I obviously have to have one this year. And probably, every year. Routine is important. We created that monster ourselves. This year my birthday was surrounded by much sobbing and stress as when the cake didn't work first time (and I was OK with it,

Hunting Nuns

By Rory Today we went hunting nuns. It a past-time I hadn't expected to be partaking in when I woke up this morning but that's what was decided we would do so we did it. I should explain.  The Lodger loves witches. His favourite witch is the Grand High Witch.  While some years ago we worked through the logic that the Grand High Witch was not real we discussed actors.  Now obviously, his favourite actor is Angelica Huston.  She lives in America so we learnt everything about her.  We learnt she went to school in Ireland  In Kylemore Abbey.  We now visit Kylemore Abbey. Alot. The Lodger likes the house which was then the school.  He likes the bus to see the Connemara ponies and the Kune Kune pigs. I like the gardens.  We now go there to hunt nuns.  Unfortunately today we didn't catch any nuns but we did do some research. We investigated every picture of the nuns. We read all about the nuns. We looked in odd places in case a nun might be there. But there were none to catch. We