Skip to main content

Beeping Rules

It's 3am.
It's beeping again.
It might stop.
It doesn't.
How many times is this?
Only 4.
A good night so far.


I head stumbling for the Lodgers room. He's asleep, oblivious to the constant monotonous beeping. I fix the strap back on his face and the beeping stops. For now. Time for a quick snooze before the next one. So far a below average night from the average 7/8 trips across the landing and the World Record of eleven but that was in the midst of a head cold so I'll allow him that. Him and his bloody beeping mask.


But yet I am no more tired than I was before the Lodger, before his mask, before PWS. I'm trained. Self-trained, and for the most part self-taught, in the adventures of Prader Willi Syndrome.

The beeping rules are simple. Beeping mask when we're awake not my problem. Beeping mask when we're asleep, very much my area. I don't know how we got to this agreement but it works. Possibly wifey enjoys the sound of consistent beeping through the night or at best is better at ignoring it than me. More resilience maybe. But this is our life now, listening in the darkness for the beeping machine, the random calls of 'HELP' or just awake listening, wondering, how we got here.

Somehow we manage to keep a positive spin on things for the most part. I won't say its easy because it's not, but it is now our normal. Our new normal. It's life.
I said on D-Day, "These are the cards we've been dealt and anyway we cant give him back."

I don't think I really wanted to anyway but given the stress, anxiety and total unknown of that day, I explored all options. Like the way your future flashes before your eyes in movies, all my ideas, thoughts, and solutions flashed by and in the end we decided to keep the Lodger.

My wife probably intended on keeping him anyway so I said to the young registrar tasked with ruining our day, that we can't give him back so we'll just get on with it. She looked nervous. Unsure if I was joking. Or worse, serious. Or why joking in this moment wasn't in her training module for this day, this time.

It wasn't really funny I suppose but in my nervous unstructured energy that I've become so famous/infamous for I jumped to my avoidance of an awkward situation by creating humour (to me- not always to others)

She eventually left once it became clear that there was no cure. We considered keeping her there until she found the cure but again logic somehow prevailed. 

Once she was gone we started laughing. Uncontrollable laughter. Not the Lodger, he could barely move his eyes in the early days let alone laugh along at his own expense of being selected as 1 in 15000 to have PWS. Kinda like winning the anti-lottery, but not remember that you bought a ticket. No, it was just myself and my wife sitting in a room having received devastating news, laughing too much while also racked with the paranoia that someone would come in and wonder what was going on.

This was the start of the rest of our lives, living with the lodger and his very very unfunny syndrome. To this day I still have no idea why it was so funny. Because it wasn't. This syndrome would shape the rest of our lives. But what is the point of being sad about it? It's here and it's not going away.


This is about being positive and doing what needs to be done, fighting for your child, for his supports, for his rights and being happy with the life we now have. We would save the world. Become millionaires and obviously also research scientists and doctors at the same time and cure this damn syndrome. An amazing belief built solely on the realisation that I was asleep and dreaming again.

There's the damn beeping.
No. 5, still not a bad night. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turn around and go home.

Prader-Willi Syndrome. It raises its head when you least expect it. Although in hindsight it was totally going to appear because we did everything we weren't supposed to.  The Lodger and Little Bro walk in the woods (not today!) I'll set the scene. It's a lovely autumnal Sunday. The sun is shining, it's not raining and it's not cold. A walk would be just the ticket before The Lodger has his Sunday movie. As you know, routine is important. Movies can't be missed.  We decided on our route- the route we call the castle route. You guessed incorrectly, it doesn't feature a castle but if you go off path and really crane your neck you might just glimpse one.  However when we got to the woods, I switched the route up. I don't know why. I just did. A moment of spontaneity. Anyway Hindsight. Lesson learned.  The new route meant a bit of climbing, so a lot of helping The Lodger and for The Lodger he wasn't able to continue his telling of the story he paused las

Steak is my favourite animal.

By Rory The Lodger loves cows. They are his favourite animal. They are also his baby brothers favourite animal because the Lodger decided they are.  Cow watching! The Lodgers birthday was recently. A huge day in his and our life. 10 years into our journey of discovery and all the other things Prader-Willi Syndrome throws at you. He wanted the perfect birthday. Don't we all on our birthday. Unfortunately the Lodgers idea of the perfect day for our birthdays doesn't always live up to his high standards. Or what you'd actually like to do on your birthday. And this can lead to unhappiness with the plan.  Things have to happen certain ways. And sometimes for example if I had a glass of orange juice for my last birthday breakfast I obviously have to have one this year. And probably, every year. Routine is important. We created that monster ourselves. This year my birthday was surrounded by much sobbing and stress as when the cake didn't work first time (and I was OK with it,

Hunting Nuns

By Rory Today we went hunting nuns. It a past-time I hadn't expected to be partaking in when I woke up this morning but that's what was decided we would do so we did it. I should explain.  The Lodger loves witches. His favourite witch is the Grand High Witch.  While some years ago we worked through the logic that the Grand High Witch was not real we discussed actors.  Now obviously, his favourite actor is Angelica Huston.  She lives in America so we learnt everything about her.  We learnt she went to school in Ireland  In Kylemore Abbey.  We now visit Kylemore Abbey. Alot. The Lodger likes the house which was then the school.  He likes the bus to see the Connemara ponies and the Kune Kune pigs. I like the gardens.  We now go there to hunt nuns.  Unfortunately today we didn't catch any nuns but we did do some research. We investigated every picture of the nuns. We read all about the nuns. We looked in odd places in case a nun might be there. But there were none to catch. We