Skip to main content

If CPAP was Ironman, The Lodger would be the winner!

If CPAP was Ironman, The Lodger would be the winner!

That's the quote of the day. I think we better get it printed on a t-shirt. 
The Lodger, Champion of CPAP 2018

For those without knowledge of Ironman, it's an endurance event that the better half took part in last weekend. This year was the Ironman 70.3, a 1.9km swim, 90km cycle and a half marathon, all to be completed within a time limit. The Lodger and I were the Ironman Support Crew. In the Lodgers words, our job was to 'Cheer on Dad and see his medal at the end!'. Two boxes ticked and to quote The Lodger "Well done Dad!"

Ironman Success


We had many celebrations this summer. A New house, a family wedding, birthdays, triathlons, Ironman... but in the world of living with PWS, we have some PWS celebrations too.

Obviously, being a champion of CPAP (For those without knowledge of CPAP click here ) is now close to the top of the list, possibly even knocking down the Ironman medal from first place. The Lodger had his review with his CPAP Doctor today, who told The Lodger he's a star patient and asked us what's the secret. Hand on heart, I told the doctor if he was to ever to take the CPAP away, we'd have a distraught boy. He loves his CPAP. It helps him go to sleep. I think he would genuinely miss the sound of the air if he didn't need it anymore. And in even better news for us, the beep beep beep the machine makes when it alarms due to air leaking might be making an exit from our world, as The Lodgers mask will be changed next week to a better fitting size. We can only hope! 

Hospital Waiting room fish!

And for those who want the knowledge, there's no real secret to The Lodgers love for CPAP... other than plenty of patience and perseverance at the beginning, coupled with plenty of over the top praise, continuously, every day. 

Over the summer, we've been tackling strategies for helping with emotions, making mistakes and asking for help. The everyday challenges of having a faulty hypothalamus means that emotional control is difficult for the Lodger. 

The Lodger gets very frustrated when he finds something difficult, so I've purposely set him difficult tasks in Parent School over the summer so I could teach him to ask for help.  Parent-school has kept us focused over the summer. The survive summer chart made in week one of the holidays has kept us all sane and focused. 

Surviving Summer 101


If The Lodger accidentally makes a mistake, like knocking over a glass, he can get very emotional. I've not been going around accidentally on purpose spilling glasses of water, though in hindsight maybe I should have but if he made a mistake, I've been really emphasising that everyone makes mistakes sometimes and it's ok.

We were out recently for a morning snack in The Lodgers new favourite spot, and the lady accidentally brought a hot milk with chocolate on top. I immediately asked for a replacement (milk minus the chocolate) and started to explain to the Lodger what happened, when he looked at the lady and said 'It's ok, everyone makes mistakes!' He then looked at me and said really loudly 'Mum, thanks for rescuing me from the chocolate! You are great at rescuing me!'. 

I almost high fived myself, double success. Parenting win squared!

The rescuing didn't stop there. Over the Ironman weekend, the restaurant messed up The Lodgers order. The one order you don't want to be messed up. You can mess up mine. You can mess up the other halfs but please don't mess up the over-anxious child with PWS order. 
But they did, and not once or twice.. but fourth time lucky!! 

The Lodger found it hilarious. 
'My Mum and my Dad are rescuers now! I love my Mum and Dad for rescuing me! The silly chef keeps making mistakes!'

I think we'll get t-shirts made! The Parent Rescuers 2018

Today has been a high emotion day. Not only was there a hospital appointment but it's my birthday. The Lodger loves birthdays. They are his favourite sort of day and coupled with his favourite place to visit, emotions were running high. So high, that my plan to have his hair cut was postponed until after his hospital appointment. The Lodger just couldn't handle the excitement. 

So much so, that when his CPAP Doctor asked for a high five, The Lodger looked at him and said "No thanks, I'm feeling emotional!"

Yes, we've had a breakthrough. Over the summer, when The Lodger has been feeling feelings, he'll tell us he's emotional. Granted, sometimes he'll use it as an excuse to try to get out of tidying up but that's also joyously being six years old. 



Currently, The Lodger is drumming a happy birthday song, before we sit down for dinner. He started this day, staring in my face and whispering to wake me up 
"Mum, ask me what today is?'
Me "What is today?"
The Lodger "It's your birthday and it's going to be a great day!"

And it has been........ even with all the emotions! 

Birthday morning cuddles! 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turn around and go home.

Prader-Willi Syndrome. It raises its head when you least expect it. Although in hindsight it was totally going to appear because we did everything we weren't supposed to.  The Lodger and Little Bro walk in the woods (not today!) I'll set the scene. It's a lovely autumnal Sunday. The sun is shining, it's not raining and it's not cold. A walk would be just the ticket before The Lodger has his Sunday movie. As you know, routine is important. Movies can't be missed.  We decided on our route- the route we call the castle route. You guessed incorrectly, it doesn't feature a castle but if you go off path and really crane your neck you might just glimpse one.  However when we got to the woods, I switched the route up. I don't know why. I just did. A moment of spontaneity. Anyway Hindsight. Lesson learned.  The new route meant a bit of climbing, so a lot of helping The Lodger and for The Lodger he wasn't able to continue his telling of the story he paused las

Steak is my favourite animal.

By Rory The Lodger loves cows. They are his favourite animal. They are also his baby brothers favourite animal because the Lodger decided they are.  Cow watching! The Lodgers birthday was recently. A huge day in his and our life. 10 years into our journey of discovery and all the other things Prader-Willi Syndrome throws at you. He wanted the perfect birthday. Don't we all on our birthday. Unfortunately the Lodgers idea of the perfect day for our birthdays doesn't always live up to his high standards. Or what you'd actually like to do on your birthday. And this can lead to unhappiness with the plan.  Things have to happen certain ways. And sometimes for example if I had a glass of orange juice for my last birthday breakfast I obviously have to have one this year. And probably, every year. Routine is important. We created that monster ourselves. This year my birthday was surrounded by much sobbing and stress as when the cake didn't work first time (and I was OK with it,

Hunting Nuns

By Rory Today we went hunting nuns. It a past-time I hadn't expected to be partaking in when I woke up this morning but that's what was decided we would do so we did it. I should explain.  The Lodger loves witches. His favourite witch is the Grand High Witch.  While some years ago we worked through the logic that the Grand High Witch was not real we discussed actors.  Now obviously, his favourite actor is Angelica Huston.  She lives in America so we learnt everything about her.  We learnt she went to school in Ireland  In Kylemore Abbey.  We now visit Kylemore Abbey. Alot. The Lodger likes the house which was then the school.  He likes the bus to see the Connemara ponies and the Kune Kune pigs. I like the gardens.  We now go there to hunt nuns.  Unfortunately today we didn't catch any nuns but we did do some research. We investigated every picture of the nuns. We read all about the nuns. We looked in odd places in case a nun might be there. But there were none to catch. We